I have to share this with you all because it hit me with such force yesterday. Many of you know that I am taking a self defense martial art called Krav Maga. Most people have not heard of this here in the states but it is growing. Krav Maga is real self defense technique for real life situations. I am amazed at what I have learned in 3 short weeks. I am also amazed at

how it is getting me in shape!!!!
Anyways yesterday at the end of class we learned how to disarm someone who is on top of us that has a gun pointed at our head. I didnt think anything of it at first because ...well... my partner is Tim and its a fake gun. So I just figured I wouldnt feel any threat. Well when we started to practice this is what I saw.------------->
I dont know about you but even though I knew it was fake and it was my husband who would never hurt me, I felt a rush of adrenaline. I had to ask Tim to pause for a minute so I could soak it in. It seriously was one of the scariest things of my life. Part of the reason is because during class I try to picture everything as if it were real. I punch, kick, elbow, and knee every pad as if it were a person attacking me.
So thinking of how this would really feel freaked me out so much I was shaking.
I composed myself and then signaled to Tim I was ready.
A huge rush of adrenaline came through me and then I did it!! I redirected the line of fire, threw him, and got control of the gun. It felt amazing!!!!!!!!!
Here is a video of Krav Maga gun defense. The technique I learned yesterday is at about 1:40 if you wanna skip to it. BUT the whole video is really cool minus the cheesy music;)
Anyways I just wanted to share this with you all.
You know I have had a lot of people ask why I am doing this. They ask why dont you just carry a gun or mace? I have to tell you its for many reasons.
#1 - no one walks around thinking that they will be attacked. I pray I never have to use any of these techniques ever. BUT you just dont know.
#2 - Self confidence is so important. This builds mine like no other.
#3 - Exercise .... I need some.... well I need a lot. I dont want to be the one saying if I only had more endurance I could have fought that guy off me or a loved one. I dont want to have to regret not taking care of my body. Krav has given me the motivation I needed my whole life to take care of my own body.
#4 - What if you cant get to the mace or the gun? I want to know I can kick a little butt on my own. I might not win but I will go down fighting like hell thats for sure!!!
#5 - I get to spend time with Tim and learn with him. We are a great team;)
#6 - I need an outlet for anger and stress. Ever since I have struggled with infertility I have had lots of both of those and this is the best outlet I have found.
#7 - I want to get pregnant! I know that I give my body the best chance of succeeding when I give it the tools to do so. I am finally ready to be an athlete. At the end of the day it wont give me a baby but I will at least know I did all I could to take care of my body.
Anyways I could go on and on. I will probably talk about Krav a lot;) If you ever get the chance to learn any self defense.... DO IT!!!! You wont regret it!!!!
1 comment:
Looks like alot of hard work Shannon, good for you!
Post a Comment