
A third man, a Samaritan, passes by. This man stops and binds up the wounds of the man in the ditch, doing the best he can to take care of his very need. This man had somewhere he was going. This man in that day was shunned for being a Samaritan. YET this man stopped to help, this man gave unconditional love and support to someone he didn't even know. This man was the most Christ-like of all of those who passed by.
I don't mean to be preachy (and believe me what I am talking about is more for me than anyone) but I feel we often times forget this important parable. I forget this. I make excuses.
In recent events that have involved people I care about, this parable (if remembered) might have been the difference between hurt feelings and people coming out feeling good about a situation.
It has reminded me of my faults. I started to think to myself, Do I ignore the fallen and needy because I am to busy focusing on my own agenda? Have I ignored someone who needed me because I was supposedly on the Lord's errand? Have I been so caught up in my trials that I have left that poor person in the ditch?
I really hope not.
I know that I have said to myself, "well because I have my own issues and hard trials and they take up all my time, I am to busy to help you with yours".
I feel terrible for making that justification. Sometimes just because we are going through something hard, we make that excuse. We think "doesn't this person know what I am going through? Don't they know I have no time or energy to cater to their needs?"
I am being reminded all the time that the only way to true happiness is to serve others and lose myself in the service of the Lord. I know that the Lord did not say this for nothing. I know that when we serve others we are serving him.
I love this scripture because no matter how much I try to think I can get around it or justify it, I must lose myself in service to others and it has always proved true.
Matthew 16:25 For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it.
I will pray today and always that I can be sensitive to those around me and their needs. I will pray to be led to those who might need a friend or those who need comfort.
Please if any of you need me for anything please ask... and please forgive me if I have ever ignored any of your feelings because I was so focused on my own.
1 comment:
You are so amazing Shannon! You always think of others and you are so good at giving. I appreciate all the service you provide for me and I hope that I can and do provide for you and others. I love you Girl. You are such an amazing person.
Post a Comment