Wednesday, May 18, 2011

One week old

My beautiful Kalea is one week old today;) I can't believe that she is here. I am getting more used to calling myself a mommy. Kalea is doing so well. She is so strong and making so much progress. They took out her nose tube thingy yesterday and she came off of the blue lights too. She does really well breathing on her own. Her billirubins are down which is why she was under the lights.  Her blood platelets are going up steadily and she is tolerating all her feedings really well. She is gaining a little bit of weight also. She is completely healthy and she has been really calm the past few days. I think she likes that they took all the stuff off her face finally. She is much more comfortable.
I held her for the first time last Friday and I was overwhelmed with emotion. I have got to hold her a few times since and there is nothing like it. She nuggles up on my chest and goes right to sleep. She loves to be snuggled. Tim also got to Kangaroo with her the other day and it was so sweet.
They told us last night that she is on the list to be moved to the special care nursery soon. We were so surprised that she is progressing so quickly. She is exceeding all expectations.
I can't really describe what I feel for her. I miss her all the time when I am not there. Every thought is consumed with her. I am so in love. There is no better pain medication than her. I am feeling so well and I am up and moving around a lot. She is my motivation for everything. It is so sweet to see Tim with her also. He talks about her all the time too and makes plans for things he wants to teach her and things to do with her. There's nothing better than watching husband with her.
I am so blessed. I am so grateful and I couldn't have ever asked for more. God as been watching over us and Kalea and I have to give all the glory to him.
Please enjoy the video of Kalea smiling;) She is so sweet;)

5 comments:

Jen said...

Shannon, she is gorgeous. Congratulations to both you and Tim! I know ti was tough there for a little while, but she is beautiful and healthy and such a blessing! Congrats again!!

love and huggs from CT!

Riah-Riah said...

Love love love the video! She is the most precious and graceful little thing I have ever seen. So glad she is doing so well, she is such a miracle. I love her so much and I love you!!! Happy 1 week Kalea, keep fighting Chicka!!!

Emily said...

Shannon, Kalea looks so fabulous!! What a strong girl - and already smiling when she hears her mommy's voice! I'm so happy to hear that she is doing so well. How wonderful! Way to go, Kalea!! We'll keep the prayers coming!

-Special Mothertivity- said...

She is absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!! I am so happy for you and Tim. What a darling baby girl. Those dimples are adorable!! So happy to hear that she is doing so well. How many weeks along were you when she was born?? I will remember her in my prayers.
Congratulations!

Roxanibus said...

I am so happy she's doing well, you guys are such great parents, she is so precious