Sunday, April 25, 2010

***WARNING**** Medical content, if you have a queasy stomach you might not want to look

Sorry for the graphic picture:( BUT it blows my mind how bad it really was and its hard for me to explain without you seeing it.
The Large lump in the middle that the instrument is pointing to is my baby in my fallopian tube. It was big!!!!! That little brat was just growing away!!! That is where I ended up, let me fill you all in on how I got to this
------------------------->






Tim and I found out we were pregnant on the 9th of this month. The first beta HCG test I had was on tuesday the 13th. My HCG was 287!!! It was such a good sign. That was the best HCG number I have ever gotten!!! 2 days later it had gone up to 498. The weekend came and I was feeling weird, I just figured it was from being pregnant. So on Sunday I went to church with Tim and everything was fine, but by that afternoon I was worried because I had started to cramp in my back and I was spotting. I had Tim take me to the Urgent care where they checked me out. While I was there they did an ultrasound and they didn't see anything. BUT my numbers had yet again gone up to 997. These are normally rising numbers so this didn't alarm anyone. It made me feel better but I just knew something was wrong. The whole thing had already been such a roller coaster. They released me and I went home. That night Tim and Andy gave me a blessing and I was feeling ok. About an hour later I was in excruciating pain. It was radiating up through my back and down into my leg. It was making my whole abdomen on my right side ache. I finally couldn't take it anymore and had Tim take me to the ER. I sat in the ER room for 6 hours in pain while they ran tests. The didn't find anything in my tests that would indicate anything wrong with any of my internal organs. They discharged me with a bottle of Lortab and a paper that basically said they had no idea what was going on.
On into monday I was sore but the pain was subsiding. I was relieved and hoped it would continue to go away. It stayed but it was dull and came and went in waves. I knew something was wrong.
On wed we went in to our fertility clinic so they could check things out. They did another beta HCG and it rose again but only to 1465. That indicated it was ectopic. The doctor said right there that there is no way we were going to go on our cruise. I was crying so hard. He had me come back in for an ultrasound and saw something in my uterus. This was again encouraging but they still suspected an ectopic. They wanted me to come in Friday for another blood test and ultrasound. On Friday we went in and he saw nothing in my uterus and nothing in my tubes from the ultrasound but that was not definitive. My HCG came back and had gone up again to 1900. Again that was an abnormal rise. They decided to give me a shot of Methotrexate. This shot stops rapidly growing cells and dissolves them. This is very effective in ectopic pregnancies in saving the patient from surgery.
I am no so lucky.
That afternoon the pain in my back continued and I knew I had to call my doctor. He asked me to meet him at the East Cooper ER so he could perform a laproscopy. This is minor surgery where he inserts a tiny camera in through my belly button and then makes small incisions on my lower abdomen. This was so they could make for sure that it is or is not ectopic.
I went in for surgery at 9pm on Friday night. The picture above is what they found.
My baby was growing so big and so fast that if I would have not had the surgery my tube would have burst and I could have bled internally to death.
The doctor had to take my right fallopian tube. I can no longer get pregnant from that side.
BUT I still have a very healthy left side!!! What a blessing!!
So folks that is what happened. I had so much taken from me this weekend.
My baby , My tube, My vacation, and a little of my sanity. BUT I want you all to know that I had so much given to me also. My life was saved, my questions were answered, My husband had been constantly waiting on my hand and foot. My friends and family have prayed harder for me then ever, and most importantly I feel that I have regained an important part of my testimony.
In the midst of all of this my God has graciously stayed by my side and loved me through it all. It is in this time of trial that I feel I can grow the closest to him.
I am at home recovering . I am in some pain, and cant really stand up to do anything. BUT I know soon it will all be over and we can get back to normal.
Thank you for all your prayers and for reading this muddled post. (I am a little out of it)
Please come see me if you want;) It lifts my spirits to have visitors.
Love you all.

12 comments:

Chelsi Archibald said...

Shannon, I'm Kelly's friend Chelsi. I'm sorry to hear about your miscarriage. I know you and Kelly have gone through such a hard time and I wanted to just leave you a comment and say that we are all very proud of you. You are an amazing example to me. I know my words cannot heal all the pain and struggle you are going through physically, emotionally, spiritually, but I am sending you some love. You are a brave woman. I know Heavenly Father loves you very much.

Bret said...

You and Tim have been through so much. You guys are in my prayers. You are so strong and your Heavenly Father KNOWS you and you ARE blessed. BRET

Kiera said...

Wow you went through a lot the past couple weeks. Well I guess it's more like years. You are so lucky to have so many friends and family that love you do unconditionally. It is so good that you can still see and focus onvthe positive. I would jump on a plane in a heartbeat to come see you. But alas flights are outragious. Just know that I am always thinking of you. Love you Shannon!

Bethany, Scott, and family said...

I'm so sorry to hear about what happend. Let us know if we can do anything for you guys, hugs, company, meals, whatever . . . let me know! Big, big hugs and I'll keep the prayers going!

Carly said...

I'm Kelly's friend, i am so so sorry to hear this! you guys will be in my prayers.

Ben and Sarah said...

Reading that brought me to tears. Firstly, because I could hear the pain in every word you wrote and it broke my heart. Secondly, because throughout every hardship you guys have faced, you have been able to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I cannot tell you how much you have strengthened my testimony( and I'm sure the testimony of everyone else)! I love you and will keep praying for you.

raising4boys said...

I'm crying for you too Shannon. I'm so sorry. I know how much hope you had. But I think Kelly is right, it's good that you shared your pregnancy and your joy when you learned you were pregnant. It's wonderful how positive this post is, even though I'm sure this is oh so hard right now. I too try to look for the positive during trials. At least your body told you something was wrong and you didn't bleed to death, at least you know you can get pregnant. I'm glad you felt close to your Heavenly Father and your husband, that's important too. Just wanted you to know I care and I'm thinking of you. Never give up.
Love, Andrea

Maria said...

Shannon I am amazed at your testimony and strength! Please know we are praying for you and Tim.
Love you!! Maria

Michelle said...

I love you like a sister. I pray that you will have lots of friends there in SC that will show you how much they love you, and stop in to see you while you recover. You are so right; your Heavenly Father loves you, and will stand by you, and I am amazed at your continued recognition of that even during times of trial. You are amazing. I hope that at the end of May you are floating off the coast of the Pacific. Stop in if you get a chance.

Rachel said...

Okay, I don't know you at all, yet tears are welling up. I'm infertile but never had to face a miscarriage or anything like you have had. Your strength is the reason I don't think I could get through it. God bless you!

Unknown said...

Rachel, you can get through it!!!!! If the Lord thinks you are strong enough to get through the trial then you are!!! He created you, he knows your strength. Trust that he knows you enough to know your limits. This life will test those limits so that we can grow and learn. Trust yourself, trust the Lord and never ever do it alone!!! Always ask for his help and you can move mountains girl!!! I promise. Strength comes when we least expect it but we have to be open to it.
I hope you never have to experience miscarriage or ectopic pregnancy. BUT if you ever come anything close to it, stay close to the Lord. Cling to him and he will perfect you in your trials. Also never underestimate the power of prayer!!! It can and does create miracles in peoples lives.

Reba said...

Yay for a healthy left side and so many other blessings. Love you tons :)